- There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
- Every path is the right path. Everything could've been anything else.
And it would have just as much meaning.
- Nemo: "I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid I haven't lived enough.
It should be written on every school chalkboard,
"Life is a playground- or nothing."
- If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have the key to the universe.
- My brain is only a receiver, in the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength and inspiration.
- The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.
- We crave for new sensations but soon become indifferent to them.
The wonders of yesterday are today common occurrences.
- If you come across any special trait of meanness or stupidity... you must be careful not to let it annoy or distress you, but to look upon it merely as an addition to your knowledge - a new fact to be considered in studying the character of humanity. Your attitude towards it should be that of the mineralogist who stumbles upon a very characteristic specimen of a mineral.
- Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
- The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
- I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.
- Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.
- Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts.
- Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility.
- If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
- Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
- The most exciting phrase to hear in science,
the one that heralds new discoveries,
is not "Eureka!" (I found it!),
but "That's funny..."
- Secrets of research is the ability to redefine your failures as successes.
- Nobody's journey is seamless or smooth. We all stumble. We all have setbacks.
If things go wrong, you hit a dead end-as you will-it's just life's way of saying time to change course.
- Feelings are really your GPS system for life.
- Jake Green: There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it. It's the only reason you get up in the morning, the only reason you suffer the shitty boss, the blood, the sweat and the tears. This is because you want people to know how good, attractive, generous, funny, wild and clever you really are. "Fear or revere me, but please think I'm special." We share an addiction. We're approval junkies. We're all in it for the slap on the back and the gold watch. The "hip, hip, hoo-fucking-rah." Look at the clever boy with the badge, polishing his trophy. Shine on, you crazy diamond. Cos we're just monkeys wrapped in suits, begging for the approval of others.
- Jake Green: One thing I've learned in the last seven years: in every game and con there's always an opponent, and there's always a victim. The trick is to know when you're the latter, so you can become the former.
- Jake Green: The longer you listen, the sweeter the pitch.
- The bigger and older the trick, the easier it is to pull. He thinks it can't be that old or big for so many people to have fallen for it. Eventually, when the conman is questioned or challenged, it means the victim's investment, and thus his intelligence is questioned. No one can accept that. Even to themselves. The victim will eventually hang himself. You just help him along.
Eventually, when the opponent is challenged or questioned, it means the victim's investment and thus his intelligence is questioned, no one can accept that. Not even to themselves.
[The 3 rules:]
"The greatest enemy will hide in the last place you would ever look" - Julius Caesar, 75 B.C.
"The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent." - Fundamentals of Chess, 1883
"The first rule of business, protect your investment" - Etiquette of the Banker, 1775
Avi and Green are playing another chess game. Zach tells him "wake up Mister Green", just before he checkmates Avi. Avi asks him "how do you keep winning?" and Green explains*: "You do all the hard work, and I just help you along. The art is for me to feed pieces to you and let you believe you took those pieces because you are smarter and I am dumber. In every game and con there is always an opponent and a victim. The more control a victim thinks he has, the less he actually has. Gradually he will hang himself. I as the opponent just help him along."
Never Back Down (movie)
- In any fight, you can always change your position.
Fight Club (movie)
- Richard Chesler:
Get the f*** out of here, you're fired!
I have a better solution. You keep me on the payroll as an outside consultant and in exchange for my salary, my job will be never to tell people these things that I know.
I don't even have to come into the office, I can do this job from home.
- The things you own end up owning you.
- It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
- You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
- This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.
- On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
- Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
Forrest Gump (movie)
- Now, mama said there's only so much fortune a man really needs... and the rest is just for showing off.
...and since I was a gazillionare and I liked doing it so much, I cut that grass for free.
The Pursuit of Happiness (movie)
- Don't ever let someone tell you
that you can't do something.
Not even me. You got a dream,
you gotta protect it.
When people can't do
they're gonna tell you
that you can't do it.
You want something.
go get it Period."
Pay It Forward (movie)
Chris Chandler: Hi, I'm Chris Chandler, and I'm joined today by a very unusual seventh grader, Trevor McKinney. Trevor, you must be pretty proud of yourself.
Trevor McKinney: No.[He laughs.]
Chris Chandler: So, you're not proud at all? [A beat.]
Trevor McKinney: I don't know. I guess.
Chris Chandler: Come on. You start a movement like Pay It Forward. You're not proud?
Trevor McKinney: I guess. I mean, I - I got an A in Social Studies, but, uh, that was just for the effort. I mean, stuff I did, it didn't really work out.
Chris Chandler: You're here.
Trevor McKinney: Yeah, but . . . I don't know. I tried real hard, but . . . nothing really happened. [A beat.] My mom's stuff worked. She talked to my grandma. Kinda made up with her. It was really hard for her. It was great for me, 'cause my grandma came to my birthday party. And I had really missed her. [A beat.] And that's why Pay It Forward went all those places. 'Cause my mom. 'Cause she was so brave. My stuff, I . . . I don't know. I think some people are too scared or something to think that things can be different. And - I mean, the world's - the world's not exactly . . . shit. [A beat.] I guess it's hard for some people who are so used to things the way they are, even if they are, to change. And they kinda give up. [A beat.] When they do, everybody kinda . . . kinda lose.
Eugene Simonet : Arlene . . . I don't wanna be one of those people he's talking about. And I've become one. I don't wanna spend another second of wasted air. Please don't let me stay trapped in here forever.
Arlene McKinney: I won't.
Eugene Simonet: I don't wanna spend another second without you.
Trevor McKinney: It's hard. You can't plan it. You have . . . you have to watch people more. You know, sort of, sorta keep an eye on 'em. To protect 'em, 'cause . . . they can't always see what they need. [A beat.] It's - it's like your big chance to fix something that's not like your bike. [A beat.] You can fix a person.
Chris Chandler: Is that what you want for your birthday? Everybody to pay it forward?
Trevor McKinney: I can't ask for that.
Chris Chandler: Sure, you can. Why not? [A beat.]
Trevor McKinney: It wouldn't work.
Chris Chandler: Why? [A beat.]Trevor
McKinney: I already blew out my candles.
Psycho Pass (anime) dialogue about the utopist system
- Oh, can I call you Akane?
- Yeah, sure.
- But hell, an Inspector with the Public Safety Bureau? Crazy place to work, right?
- Why here?
- Do you think I'm not suited for it?
- After what happened yesterday, anyone would probably think that way.
- Sibyl's Judgment of my job aptitude exceeded the Bureau's employment standards, so here I am.
- That's the thing I don't get.
- If you passed the Bureau's standards,
- you must've gotten a good ranking for other places too, right?
- Couldn't you have picked a different job?
- I got an A ranking for all thirteen ministries and agencies, not to mention six companies.
- Yeah. But...For all the other jobs, there were at least one or two people besides me who got the same ranking.
- I was the only one who got an A ranking for the Public Safety Bureau.
- There were more than 500 students and I was the only one.
- So I thought that there must have been something that only I could do at the Bureau.
- If I went there, I thought I could find my purpose in life...
- I thought I'd be able to find out why I was born here and now.
- Do you think I'm wrong?
- I don't know. What makes you think that someone like me would have any idea?
- You could become anything.
- You could choose any kind of life.
- You've even agonized over it, right?
- That's incredible.
- You're just like those people from the days before Sibyl was created.
- Nowadays, the Sibyl System reads your talent and tells you the way of living that will bring you the most happiness.
- And yet, you're talking about your purpose in life?
- The reason you were born?
- I never even imagined there were people who stressed over things like that!
- I was flagged in a Psycho-Pass test when I was five.
- I've been a latent criminal ever since.
- No possibility for rehabilitation through treatment.
- That's why I'm here now.
- And I'd much rather be one of the Bureau's hunting dogs and take on assassination jobs than spend the rest of my life in an isolation facility.
- That was the only choice I had.
- "Justice is subject to dispute;
might is easily recognized and not disputed.
So we cannot give might to justice"
Quotes from Psycho Pass
- "In order to measure a person's worth, you must do more than push them. The real way to test their worth is to give them power. When they gain the freedom to act outside the boundaries of law and ethics, you can sometimes see their souls."
- "An unforeseen situation... An unexpected turn of events... In the face of those, you too will face your true self."
- "When a man faces fear, his soul is tested. What he was born to seek... what he was born to achieve... his true nature will become clear."
- "For some time researchers have understood that moderate stress has beneficial effects. It boosts the immune system for example. Stress motivates and prepares us for action. It compels our body to survive." #eustress
- "The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. People have always detested evil and sought out a righteous way of living. Their feelings, the accumulation of those peoples feelings are the law. They're neither the provisions, nor the system. They're the fragile and irreplaceable feelings that everyone carries in their hearts."
- "It's not the final judgement of "good" and "evil" that's important. What matters is that you come to that decision yourself. That you agonize over it and eventually accept it."
- "If you look away and just turn your back on those you don't understand, you'll regret it someday. Accept what's happening before your eyes as a fact. That's a shortcut to becoming an adult."
- "People's anger makes society clear."
- People all over society may become targets in an unprecedented witch hunt.
The resulting doubts and fears could lead to chaos.
When confronted with the idea that a group isn't clear despite the clarity of each individual,
In the not-so-distant future, there will be a society in which groups become the standard unit for judgment.
As a result judgments may turn into massacres.
And you're the one who opened the door.
- I'm not that pessimistic.
What comes of this may be righteous law and order.
- You're as idealistic as ever.
- Maybe it's idealistic is not society that determines people's futures.
It is people who determine society's future.
That's what I believe.
corruption = greed + opportunity - control
- Most long-range forecasts of what is technically feasible in future time periods dramatically underestimate the power of future developments because they are based on what I call the "intuitive linear" view of history rather than the "historical exponential" view.
- Don't follow the crowd, let the crowd follow you.
- Power rules the world, not opinion, but it is opinion that exploits power.
- It is power that makes opinion. To be easygoing can be a fine thing according to our opinion. Why? Because anyone who wants to dance the tightrope will be alone, and I can get together a stronger body of people to say there is nothing fine about it.
- "He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How." He describes poignantly those prisoners who gave up on life, who had lost all hope for a future and were inevitably the 1st to die. They died less from lack of food or medicine than from lack of hope, lack of something to live for.
The Good Place (TV Series) #S4-Ep6
- "What matters isn't if people are good or bad.
What matters is if they're trying to be better today than they were yesterday.
- Mortality offers meaning to (the events of) our lives
and morality helps navigate that meaning
- The only intelligent tactical response to life's horror is to laugh defiantly at it.
- Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.
- People don't have ideas. Ideas have people.
- That which you most need will be found where you least want to look.
- Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past.
Thomas Babington Macaulay
- No man who is correctly informed as to the past will be disposed to take a morose or desponding view of the present.
- Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
- Partial evidence may be worse than no evidence if it leads to an illusion of knowledge, and so to overconfidence and certainty where none is justified. It's better to know that you don't know.
Daniel J. Boorstin
- The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
- It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
- Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers.
- Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance.
Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. [13:12]
- For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. [7:8]
Bank of England
- You can have all the money in the world; you have no relationships you're a poor man.
Donald Hoffman & Jun Wu
- In evolution by natural selection, the fundamental issue is limited resources.
If resources are unlimited, then there would be no need to compete.
Without competition, there's no natural selection.
Natural selection is a brutal form of learning.
Once we have a mathematical theory of the dynamics of conscious agents behind our space-time interface, we will be able to alter the parameters of space-time itself.
That will be unprecedented power.
- It's possible to have high intelligence without megalomaniacal or homicidal or genocidal tendencies, because we do know that there is a highly advanced form of intelligence that tends not to have that desire, and they're called women.
- I believe that good teachers introduce new thoughts,
but great teachers introduce new ways of thinking.
- The only constant in life is change.
- We do not learn from experience, we learn from reflecting on experience.
- If an egg is broken by outside force, life ends. If broken by inside force, life begins. Great things always begin from inside.
- The strongest changes happen from inside out.
- The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering
- Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide.
- The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos.
The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies.
- Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.
- It is the cause, not the death, that makes the martyr.
- Victory belongs to the most persevering.
- History is a set of lies agreed upon.
- Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
- Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.
- One must change one's tactics every ten years if one wishes to maintain one's superiority.
- The human race is governed by its imagination.
- You are the master of your destiny.
- A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
(An organization (especially a process or a business) is only as strong or powerful as its weakest person. A group of associates is only as strong as its laziest member.)
- Never be intimidated by your enemy's appearance. Instead, look at the parts that make up the whole. By separating the parts, sowing dissension and division, you can bring down even the most formidable foe. When you are facing troubles or enemies, turn a large problem into small, eminently defeatable parts.
- You are your own worst enemy. You waste precious time dreaming of the future instead of engaging in the present. Cut your ties to the past; enter unknown territory. Place yourself on "death ground," where your back is against the wall and you have to fight like hell to get out alive.
- The goal is death, the battle is the life.
The fight itself the goal the man doth seek.
A cél halál, az élet küzdelem,
S az ember célja e küzdés maga. (original/Hungarian)
O Man, strive on, strive on, have faith; and trust!
Mondottam, ember: küzdj és bízva bízzál! (original/Hungarian)
- Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
- You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
- When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Really, the only thing that makes sense is to strive for greater collective enlightenment.
- [How to be most useful]
Whatever this thing is that you're trying to create what would be the utility Delta compared to the current state-of-the-art times (*) how many people it would affect.
Alice Morse Earle
- Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift, That's why it's called the Present.
- Train people well enough so they can leave,
treat them well enough so they don't want to.
- "To live one's life in the best way: the power to do this resides within our soul, if we are capable of being indifferent to indifferent things."
- Having core values is so important. If you know who you are, it's easy to live up to it. You focus on a few important things in life - the rest is noise.
There are several predictable thinking errors people commonly make that lead them to incorrectly predict their own future emotions in general, and future happiness in particular:
- Focusing on a single salient feature or period of time in a choice, rather than looking at the big picture.
- Overestimating the long-term impact of our choices.
- Forgetting that happiness is an ongoing process, not a destination.
- Paying too much attention to external information while overlooking personal preferences and experience.
- Trying to maximize decisions rather than focusing on personal satisfaction.
- Confusing wanting something for liking it later, and forgetting to evaluate whether we will enjoy the choice once its novelty wears off."
- If you want to feel differently, you need to think and act differently.
- A problem well stated is a problem half solved.
Unknown - proverbs
- Actions speak louder than words
- A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
- A watched pot never boils
- Don't bite the hand that feeds you
- Don't judge a book by its cover
- Don't put all of your eggs in one basket
- Fortune favors the bold
- Honesty is the best policy
- Hope for the best, prepare for the worst
- If it ain't broke, don't fix it
- If you can't beat 'em, join 'em
- If you play with fire, you'll get burned
- If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself
- The early bird gets the worm
- Laughter is the best medicine
- Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer
- The enemy of my enemy is my friend
- The pen is mightier than the sword
- Practice makes perfect
- Two wrongs don't make a right
- Knowledge is power
- In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
- Mens sana in corpore sano (latin)
- A sound mind is in a sound body (english)
- Ép tesben ép lélek (hungarian)
- Ve zdravém těle zdravý duch (czech)
- Temet Nosce / Nosce Te Ipsum (latin)
- Know thyself (english)
"I never drag 'em in battles that I can handle less I absolutely have to
I'm suppose to set an example, I need to be the leader
My crew looks for me to guide 'em
If some shit ever just pop off I'm suppose to be beside 'em
And even though the battle was won, I feel like we lost it
I spent so much energy on it, honestly I'm exhausted
I'm so caught it I almost feel like I'm the one who caused it "
Yoda: "Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealously. The shadow of greed, that is."
THE IRON GIANT
- "You are who you choose to be."
- "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- "In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity."
- "Victory comes from finding opportunities in problems."
- "Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price."
- "If happiness had a form, what would it look like? It might be something like glass, because one doesn't notice it normally. However, it is actually there. As proof, if you look at it from a different angle, the glass will reflect light. It will state it's presence and existence more eloquently than any other thing in this world." - Lelouch Lamperouge
- "You will never be able to love anybody else until you love yourself." - Lelouch Lamperouge
- "A life that lives without doing anything is the same as a slow death." - Lelouch
"The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!" - Lelouch Lamperouge
- "Things that don't change go extinct." - Milly Ashford
- "False tears bring pain to those around you. A false smile brings pain to one's self." - C.C
- "In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions." - C.C
- "War is merely one method of diplomacy. However, it is the least efficient one." - Bismarck Waldstein
- Neo: I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid... you're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you..
- Neo: Ever have that feeling where you're not sure if you're awake or dreaming?
- Morpheus to Neo: Let me tell you why you're here. You are here because you know something. What you know, you can't explain. But you feel it.
- Morpheus to Neo: Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?
- Morpheus to Neo: What is "real"? How do you define "real"? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, taste and see then "real" is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.
- Neo: If you're killed in the Matrix, you die here?
Morpheus: The body cannot live without the mind.
- Morpheus: You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he's expecting to wake up. Ironically, this is not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo.
Morpheus: Why not?
Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.
- Morpheus: You have to let it all go, Neo. Fear, Doubt and Disbelief. Free your mind.
- Morpheus: I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.
- Morpheus: There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.
- Trinity: It is the question that drives us.
- Trinity: Neo, no one has ever done anything like this.
Neo: I know, that's why it's going to work.
- The Architect: Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength and your greatest weakness.
- Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.
- Agent Smith: Did you know that the first Matrix
was designed to be a perfect human world where none suffered, where
everyone would be happy? It was a disaster. No one would accept the
program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed that we lacked the
programming language to describe your "perfect world". But I believe
that, as a species, human beings define their reality through misery and
suffering. So the perfect world was a dream that your primitive
cerebrum kept trying to wake up from.
- Agent Smith to Neo: We're not here because we're free. We're here because we are not free. There's no escaping reason, no denying purpose. Because as we both know, without purpose, we would not exist. lt is purpose that created us. Purpose that connects us. Purpose that pulls us. That guides us. That drives us. lt is purpose that defines. Purpose that binds us.
- Mouse: To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
- Child: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Child: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Child: Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends. It is only yourself.
- Seraph: You do not truly know someone until you fight them.
- The Merovingian: Beneath our poised appearance, the truth is, we are completely out of control.
Causality. There is no escape from it. We are forever slaves to it.
Our only hope, our only peace, is to understand it, to understand the why. "Why" is what separates us from them, you from me. "Why" is the only real source of power. Without it, you are powerless.
- The Merovingian: It is remarkable how similar the pattern of love is to the pattern of insanity.
- Oracle: The real test for any choice is having to make the same choice again knowing fully well what it might cost.
- Oracle: Everything that has a beginning has an end.
- Cypher: Ignorance is bliss.
- The closer you are to death, the more alive you feel. It's a wonderful way to live.
- "Tragedy + time = comedy" is the closest thing psychology has to a chemical equation.
- Existence precedes essence.
- You should sit in meditation for twenty minutes every day - unless you're too busy;
then you should sit for an hour.
- Mind is a wave of the ocean of Being.
Jalāl al-Dīn Muḥammad Rūmī
- You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop.
- The total number of minds in the universe is one.
In fact, consciousness is a singularity phasing within all beings.
- All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together.
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter.
- Cobb: You didn't plant it deep enough?
Eames: No, it's not just about depth. You need the simplest version of the idea in order for it to grow naturally in your subject's mind. It's a very subtle art.
So, what is this idea that you need to plant?
- Almost dying changes nothing. Dying changes everything.
It's been established that time is not a rigid construct.
It's one of the great tragedies of life - something always changes.
Our bodies break down, sometimes when we're 90, sometimes before we're even born, but it always happens and there's never any dignity in it. I don't care if you can walk, see, wipe your own ass. It's always ugly. Always. You can live with dignity, we can't die with it.
...treating illnesses is why we became doctors, treating patients is what makes most doctors miserable.
The simplest explanation is almost always somebody screwed up.
I take risks, sometimes patients die. But not taking risks causes more patients to die, so I guess my biggest problem is I've been cursed with the ability to do the math.
Right and wrong do exist. Just because you don't know what the right answer is - maybe there's even no way you could know what the right answer is - doesn't make your answer right or even okay. It's much simpler than that. It's just plain wrong.
Everything we do is dictated by motive.
If her DNA was off by one percentage point she'd be a dolphin.
Sometimes we can't see why normal isn't normal.
You want to make things right? Too bad. Nothing's ever right.
New is good. Because old ended in death.
...the fact that the sexual pleasure center of your cerebral cortex has been over-stimulated by spirochetes is a poor basis for a relationship. Learned that one the hard way.
There's an evolutionary imperative why we give a crap about our family and friends. And there's an evolutionary imperative why we don't give a crap about anybody else. If we loved all people indiscriminately, we couldn't function.
If you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic.
I saw these... headlights... and... I saw.... paramedics... said I was technically dead for 97 seconds.
It was the best 97 seconds of my life.
You are an idiot; you nearly killed yourself!
- That's the whole idea.
You wanted to kill yourself?
- I wanted to nearly kill myself.
Dr. Gregory House : [to Dr. Forman] You took a chance, you did something great. You were wrong, but it was still great. You should feel great that it was great. You should feel like crap that it was wrong.
That's the difference between him and me. He thinks you do your job, and what will be will be.
I think that what I do and what you do matters. He sleeps better at night. He shouldn't.
Times changes everything.
That's what people say. It's not true. Doing things changes things. Not doing things leaves things exactly as they were.
It's a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.
Is a lie a lie if everybody knows it's a lie?
You can have all the faith you want in spirits and the afterlife, heaven and hell, but when it comes to the world, don't be an idiot, because you can tell me that you put your faith in God to get through the day but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.
People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get. There's nothing any of us can do about it.
You'd be surprised what you can live without.
We formulate our questions based on the answers we want to hear.
If you can fake sincerity, you can fake pretty much anything.
Religion is the placebo of the masses.
You want to know how two chemicals interact, do you ask them?
No, they're going to lie through their lying little teeth.
Throw them in a beaker and apply heat.
Figuring out who people are takes time. And it takes twice as much time if they're trying to impress you.
Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there wouldn't be religious people.
You can have all the faith you want in spirits and the afterlife, heaven and hell, but when it comes to the world, don't be an idiot, because you can tell me that you put your faith in God to get through the day but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.
If nobody hates you, you're doing something wrong.
There are three choices in this life: be good, get good, or give up.
You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to stop thinking.
- To know more, you must first know what you don't know; yet the more you know, the more you know that you know almost nothing...
- What's in it for you?
( [example - brokers]: why would you believe their predictions(?) - if they knew the trends they wouldn't be selling you their suggestion; but would be biding themselves)
- Less is more; especially if it gets you to think out of the box.
- Eat like you would at home; but less.
- If you stop (moving/exercising/working) you'll die.
- Your habit becomes your character!
- The only truth is, that there is no justice.
Law and truth are separate.
The Court provides justice; not truth.
- Everything is a matter of quantity, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
(Mindent mértékkel (Hu); Všeho s mírou (Cz); ...)